Friday, September 21, 2007

Gaining Notoriety

Is there a way to ensure that my book gets published? Sure, become famous. I’ve had some experience with fame. I was in the papers when I had polio. Maybe that was too long ago. Okay, I’ve got another idea. We’ve all seen people like David Blaine gaining notoriety through some stunt. He made his name as a performer of street and close-up magic. In November 2000 he performed a stunt called "Frozen in Time," which was covered on a TV special. Blaine stood in a closet of ice located in Times Square. He survived and has had many specials since. Now I’ve given some serious thought to what I could do to gain notoriety.

I have no talent or artistic skills so I too would have to do something that might be regarded as challenging. For several years I have been completely disgusted with the state of health insurance in this country. I can’t get private insurance in Florida because they don’t sell insurance to diabetics in Florida. Seems there’s too many of us here. Now how can I gain notoriety and make a statement about the state of health insurance? My first thought was to call the local TV stations and tell them I’m walking from Florida to Washington, DC speaking about the sad state of affairs of health insurance in the USA.

I mentioned this plan to a friend, Anthony. Now Anthony is a very bright young man. He smiled, raised his eye brows, and said he thought the idea had merit. The expression on his face didn’t match his words. I decided to continue relating my plan to see if he was humoring me or if he was serious. We talked about how long it would take for me to walk to Washington. It’s 1,000 miles and at one mile an hour (I don’t walk as fast as I did in my youth) it would take me a 1,000 hours. Assuming I walked eight hours a day. Well, you get the picture. I would arrive in DC in January. What Floridian would walk north in the winter. I want notoriety not suicide. Anthony agreed.

After much thought and discussion we came to the conclusion that walking to Tallahassee might be more reasonable. Anthony suggested he would be willing to follow in a car when he wasn’t working. By the end of the conversation I still wasn’t convinced I had Anthony’s support. I still sensed that he was humoring me. Actually I could sense a lack of respect for my plan from a man 20 years my junior. It was subtle but I’m certain that’s what it was. I need to know what you think. The cause is definitely one we can all rally around. With all these presidential candidates making speeches, it’s a great time to get the issue out in the open. Okay, who wants to follow me in the car?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rich,
It would definately get in all the news, but lets keep thinking as I want to be sure my friend is around with his wife for our Friday get together's! There must be another way!!!!!
Linda L Liles (LLL)

Anonymous said...

Okay Gig, I know you can do anything, butt!!!!! How about something else, I'm not ready for you to get hit by a car.

RichW said...

Okay ladies. I'll let you know if we decide to jump off the deap end and go for it. Linda, if we do, you and Byron will have to follow in the car so we can continue to watch movies on Friday night. Donna, if I do it, I'll mention your name whenever I'm interviewed. Does that make it okay?

Anonymous said...

No it doesn't make it okay. I keep telling you the book should be Gig's Sis and how long before you mention me, I remember page 7.
love you

Michelle said...

Honestly, I don't think it's a bad idea. You would lose the weight and gain some notoriety in the process.

We should discuss in further detail; I would follow in the car. :)

Anonymous said...

Rick, You walk too slow and it would be too dangerous.
How about swim your way to Tallahassee. A truck can pull a tank while you swim. You are a good swimmer.
What ever you do it will be successful
Good luck, Dottie