Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Query Letter

Last night our company arrived and I gave them a copy of the rough draft of my query letter. They were here to pick up some furniture and they had two other stops to make so we didn’t get a chance to talk about the letter. I’ll see them Thursday night and get their comments. I’ve been thinking of posting the letter here and finally came to the conclusion that if this post is about my journey to getting my book published then I needed to include the query letter in the post. So here goes.
I contracted infantile paralysis, or more commonly referred to as polio, at the age of 20 months. When I was released from the hospital after three weeks in isolation I couldn’t move my legs, sit up, or move my head. My parents elected to take me to therapy three days a week and do my exercises at home the other four days rather than house me in a facility where I would receive therapy and schooling. After twelve years of physical therapy I walked with crutches, had a full leg brace on my right leg, and my left leg was just barely strong enough to no longer need the brace. I have never understood the words “I can’t.” It’s not in my vocabulary. If I had to tell you my philosophy of life, I would say that you live life by doing “Whatever it Takes.”

I attended public schools, I was a Cub Scout and Boy Scout, I graduated from college, and I have a wonderful wife and two grown daughters who share my philosophy. I have been an automotive machinist, a draftsman, a teacher in four public high schools, an instructor in a high tech computer company, a technical writer and trainer for a high tech oilfield down hole services company, the manager of a documentation department, and a national sales manager. My wife and I have lived in four states and I’ve traveled throughout the United States and in Europe training computer service engineers and customers. I’ve had an exciting life and if I wasn’t being challenged I changed it.

If that wasn’t enough, in the midst of the 56 years since polio I have become a Type 1 diabetic, I have arthritis, I’ve had two heart attacks, bypass surgery, and a heart stent. Does life get any easier? No, if it did I’d be dead. I'm going to write three books that chronicle my life from polio to diabetes, diabetes and arthritis to bypass surgery, and bypass surgery to the present. Each stage of my life has given me new and escalating challenges physically and emotionally.
There’s more to add to this letter but that’s the body of it. The question is, if you were a literary agent, would the letter cause you to pick up the phone and offer to represent me. If it would, then you think the book will sell and you will get paid for your efforts. If you have any comments about changes that would improve the query letter, let me know. I can use all the help I can get. One last thought. I forgot to mention that I started on a diet yesterday; a new blog and a diet all in one day. I was 130 pounds nine months after my bypass surgery and now I’m nearly 160 pounds. I looked like death warmed over at 130 pounds so I’m looking to get down to 140 lbs. At 130 pounds I was the same size I was in college; 29 inch waist and a size 40 jacket. It’s funny that I didn’t look like death warmed over then. I wonder what changed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and I love you! As my friend for 58 years, I could not imagine life without you. You have taught me the meaning of: Patience with humility; Joy in so many little things I take for granted; and, above all, deep appreciation for friendship. You are right,"can't" is not in YOUR vocabulary. I remember the time muscles were transplanted from your arms to your legs. We were in High School. I never heard you complain. You even put up with my...let's say, um...STRONG...ya, that's it, personality. You just kept telling Ralph and me how much you were looking forward to going on vacation to Cape Cod when you recovered. We did have a great time. Or the time your crutches slid out from under you at my mom's house, on the ice. You just stood, waiting for your fate and laughing all the while.

Your parents and your sister Donna were my like my family, growing up. Even now, though I don't see them as often as I would like,it's always like 'old home week' when we do visit.

Oh, my friend, you have no idea how I treasure your friendship and Cheryl's. You guys are one of the 'highlights' of my life.

I look forward to the 'books' and praise your patience ( as always).

...didn't see this coming did ya!

love b

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of you as a child - you're so cute! Ray and I are really glad we got to know you and Cheryl. Looking forward to more of your postings. May God bless you and move you forward on this. Rose

Anonymous said...

very nice blog...you should see pier village now. i am home now. hope all is well with you and yours! by the way, from the pictures, i can see you havent changed a bit. perhaps some coffee at coconut?

Anonymous said...

The letter is great, and if I were a publisher your book would be "bought". You have a story worth telling, but you are usually too upbeat to tell it...now we will get to know what it was like overcoming all the obstacles. I'm going to follow your blog site with great interest and I want a signed copy of each book! I love you both, and your marriage is an inspiration too!

Anonymous said...

hi rich, I hope someone picks up your story.

RichW said...

Thank you b, Rose, Rich, Paula, and Albert for your enchouragment. Albert, I subscribed to your RSS feed. I'll put 110% effort into getting my book published.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Paula!!! It is a great Query Letter. The only other thought I had was if you want to somehow mention how God had something to do with the journey! Plus I want a signed copy of your book too!!!!
LLL