Friday, September 28, 2007

How Much Does it Cost?

On September 14th US News and World Report had an article on their web site written by Michelle Andrews titled Health Insurance Costs Rise Again. Here’s an excerpt.

“Health insurance premiums rose more slowly in 2007 than at any other time since 1999, but the 6.1 percent increase still outstripped the rises in workers' wages (3.7 percent) and inflation (2.6 percent), according to a study released this week. There's no relief in sight for workers, who paid almost $3,300 on average for family coverage this year. Forty-five percent of employers polled say they're likely to increase employee premiums next year, with a significant number reporting they plan to increase employee deductibles, copayments, and drug contributions as well.”

Did you notice the good news, “Health insurance premiums rose more slowly in 2007 than at any other time since 1999.”

As I said in my last post, Cheryl and I are experts on the cost of health insurance. We started buying our own in 1997. Our total cost for health insurance in 1998 was $4,176.00. That year my employer reimbursed us 50%. By 2003 it was up to $10,668.00 and my employer was reimbursing us 33%. Not bad.

In 2006, we paid $19,164.00 and my employer contributed nothing. Do you think that’s why we drive a Kia van rather than a Honda?

Why is it so expensive? That’s for tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You certianly spend a lot on health insurance! I didn't realize the cost was so high. I don't know much about Universal Health Insurance, but if we end up with some form of it, is it paid through taxes? We have family in England that has Universal Health Insurance and they are always on a waiting list for health services. When Ray's Aunt was very sick, they paid big bucks to get her into the hospital without going on the waiting list. It wasn't that she wasn't sick enough,(she died) it's the way the system works. I'm not so sure I would want that kind of health service - but then, I've always had health insurance. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Oprah had a good show on this week with Michael Moore (director of "Sicko"), a professor from Princeton, and a woman from the health insurance industry talking about this same topic. I think there's a forum on her site discussing it. Their big question in the show was, "Do you think the son of a gas station attendant and the son of a banker should have the same healthcare?"

Another interesting tidbit of news I saw yesterday (disclosure: I only saw the headline flash on CNN while I was at the gym so I couldn't hear it and haven't had a chance to look into it yet)is that the House passed legislation to increase government spending for healthcare for children and Bush plans on veto'ing it. He can pour money into Iraq, pass acts like "No Child Left Behind" that are undersupported and hurting our children's education (they teach to the tests now), and yet he won't take care of the basic health needs of this country's future. I can't believe we have to put up with him for another year...(Please set me straight if someone knows more about this.)

Anonymous said...

Lawyers & Doctors... Period... Doctors run every test possible to protect themselves from lawsuits.

RichW said...

Rose,

Not having immediate access is definitely a problem. I've heard a lot about it and talked with Canadian's who came to the US for treatment on occasion. I'm not sure what the answer is. Soon I'll be talking about my experiences in Sweden. That post will be about the concern you mention.

RichW said...

Laurie,

I'll have to check out Oprah's site. What a subject for her show. I hope they all agreed that both children deserved the same. Bush doesn't have to be worried about being reelected and the Republican's might think this isn't a big issue to the masses. They might be right. I want to make it an issue. Not for my benefit but for everyone. About the question of healthcare for the two boys, if universal insurance isn't done right, the banker's son will have access to much better healthcare.

RichW said...

Anonymous,

No doubt the cost of excess tests is part of the problem. See my next post.