Wednesday, October 17, 2007

An Accomplished Hand-Cyclist

Got to be losing my mind. I thought for sure I mentioned Kelly McCall in one of my posts. Can’t find any mention of her. Kelly pedaled a hand-cycle in the American Lung Association’s Big Ride Across America 2007. You can find her at http://members.cox.net/mclieb/index.mht . My Ride is going to be all of 400 miles. Kelly went a measly 2,500 miles. That's two THOUSAND five hundred miles. I'm beginning to feel a little under whelmed with my goal. Actually, I'm not raising money. It's the message not the distance in my case. Kelly raised over $7,500 dollars for the American Lung Association!

Kelly couldn’t spend a lot of time with the other riders because they were on foot pedaled bikes and the hand pedaled bikes are at a disadvantage. Because she couldn’t keep up, Kelly had to provide her own support vehicle. The Lung Association was reluctant to allow her to participate until she said she would get her own support vehicle. I can understand the reluctance. The Lung Association would be concerned with Kelly’s safety and the Association's budget is small for these fund raising events. Every dollar they spend on the event doesn’t go into research.

Kelly said that the drivers of the cars and trucks sharing the road with her were, for the most part, very polite but there were a few times that she had to “bail” off the road to avoid getting hit. One of the most difficult parts had to be the three flat tires she had on the trip. There was a lot of debris in the bike lanes and road shoulder. I’m impressed with her accomplishment. I don’t have six weeks to travel but, if I find people are paying attention and the Ride is making a difference, I’ll just have to keep going. I’ll head for Washington, DC. We’ll see what happens.

Check out Kelly’s site. She’s quite a lady.

No comments: