Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Health Insurance and Diabetes - They Don't Mix

Today I read a post on a blog site I read every day. The title of the post is So this is highly disturbing…. The blogger, Wil, is the coordinator for a community health center in Northern New Mexico. The post is about a patient of Wil’s that’s passed over for a job because he’s a diabetic. They were concerned with the impact his disease might have on the cost of their health insurance.

The company is a small nonprofit so I understand their concern. HIPAA requires group health plans to cover all eligible employees, regardless of health status. I support HIPAA but I understand the consequences. HIPAA solved many problems but it didn’t go far enough. We make patches but we’ve yet to look at the entire problem and fix it. Massachusetts decided to solve the problem and came up with a solution. Other states have done the same. I see the leaders in those states as people willing to do what’s right not what’s easy or popular.

Read
Wil’s post and you’ll read about one of the ugly realities of the health insurance industry. This and every other inequity must be resolved.

No comments: