Thursday, October 18, 2007

Book Title

My plan for the book title is Whatever it Takes. This title has a special meaning to me as it comes from the inscription on the key fob one of my daughters gave many years ago. Whatever it Takes would be a great title for an inspirational autobiography but unfortunately there are so many books with that title I’m not sure we need another.

Some samples:

Whatever it Takes: How Professional Learning Communities Respond When Kids Don't Learn

Whatever It Takes: Illegal Immigration, Border Security and the War on Terror

Whatever It Takes – “A compelling novel depicting what happens when Butch and Zig Steel, carrying a 25 year grudge, finally gets their chance to unleash hell upon an unsuspecting prey.”

Whatever It Takes – “A book for anyone who knows where he or she wants to go and are willing to do whatever it takes to get there. This coffee table book contains motivational quotes and stories to inspire and celebrate your commitment to excellence.”

I’m not sure I want to abandon the title Whatever it Takes but I do have another idea. In high school there was a young man that had a special way of getting my attention. He would yell, “Hey half-a-man!” My usual retort was, “What part of me you consider a man is twice the man you are.” It got to be a joke and he finally lost interest. I have a very thick skin so, if anything, the comment was a little inelegant but it wasn’t intended to be malicious. Cheryl and I spoke about it and we came up with a sub title of “What makes a man a Man.”

So, what do you think? Keep the original name or strongly consider Hey Half-a-Man!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

how about:
"Whatever It Took"?

I couldn't find any books with that title.

RichW said...

That's an idea. I'll give that some thought.

Anonymous said...

Let's see what other people think about your series...
Whatever it takes, living with polio
Whatever it takes, living with diabetes (maybe polio and diabetes)
Whatever it takes, living with heart disease (polio, diabetes and heart disease
Whatever it take, living to 100
and on and on.....
I'll say it again, for the book to be "Whatever it takes" you have to start admitting to some negatives in your life that you had to deal with, besides me. Life was not that easy for you Gig and you need to dig and admit it.
love you

Anonymous said...

Sorry Half a man is out, you are more of a man than most men I know. Except Dad

Anonymous said...

I agree totally with Donna.