Saturday, October 6, 2007

A Response or Two

Yesterday I said at the end of my post that I hadn't got any responses yet to my first five query letters. Right after I completed the post the mailman came and there was one of my self addressed stamped envelopes (SASE) in the mail.

I felt like Charlie in Willie Wonka opening the candy bar. You know don’t you, Charlie had to open more than one bar before he got the golden ticket.

I opened the envelope and inside it looked like the agent had sent my letter back????? I took the letter out and flipped up the top of the letter and sure enough it was my letterhead. I didn't see anything other than my letter. Then I opened the rest of the letter and there it was, a circle around a word, and a line coming off the circle to some words.

My heart was in my throat. I was sure that it was a note saying I had misspelled a word. I've been told that's a death sentence for a query letter and I sent out five of that letter. Well, it wasn't a misspelling. The agent circled the word autobiography. She wrote that she wasn't doing any autobiographies at this time.

Today I got another one. This time it was a form letter saying how I must know that publishing is a difficult business and the agent didn't "feel strongly enough about the work." I was happy to see that I'm one more response closer to getting that golden ticket.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Two responses out of 5 so far - not bad! I was in anticipation as I was reading...

Anonymous said...

Rich - you always look on the positive side. That is great. I love it that you are now closer to the one that says yes! Remember, God doesn't close a door without opening another one. And He is with you every step of the way.

Anonymous said...

Okay Gig, 2 responses, it's something. It's a good story, if you admit you had some problems. Mom and I will keep praying the Lord will be with you in this adventure as all the rest.
love you.

RichW said...

Michelle...if you were in anticipation then I got it right. Thank you.

RichW said...

Rose...This time I'm going to walk through the door. I've always wanted to try another door. I remember when I was baptized a few years ago and the waves were over Jim's head. Waves over six feet are rare here so we were all surprised. I don't like letting anyone help me but that day I had to let someone carry me out to Jim or I wasn't going to be baptized that day. I decided okay. Jacob was big enough to carry me and survive the waves. I thanked the Lord for that opportunity. This is another.

Anonymous said...

hey rich I have an idea.

I dabbled a little in the music industry and learned about the dynamics of how indie/underground artists got signed by record labels.

The idea was that these artists took enough initiative on their own to draw their own following. Proved their own marketability by landing gigs, selling their own cds, and maintaining an active website/myspace page.

I wonder if this concept could be applied to writing/publishing and blogs. Where if one can maintain an audience of loyal readers, if people would be more willing to take a risk in becoming your agent.

Blogs like Amy Tenderich's Diabetes Mine get a ton of traffic, and I'm sure it only helps the sales of the book she helped write. Something that publishers would definitely appreciate.

So I wonder if creating a blog that people frequently visit, stumble upon, and revisit will help you get exposed to the right people who would be willing to pick up your story.

Anyways, not sure where I was exactly going with that, but I hope things work out for you Rich. There's a lot of people out there who would be encouraged by your perseverance and your story.

- Albert
http://whatisdiabetes.blogspot.com

RichW said...

Albert, thank you for your suggestions. I'm aware that this site may not get a following especially those in the diabetic community because I don't focus on diabetes. I will post some comments about my experience with diabetes occasionally but that's about it. I've contacted about 50 friends about my blog site and some on checking it out. I am now preparing to send emails to another 50 people. I have the email addresses of 50 people I graduate from high school with 40 years ago.

That’s a start. I am also having business cards printed up with the blog site address. My major push right now is to start a walk/ride of about 400 miles in support of Universal Health Care (UHC). It’s a subject that scares the he’’ out of most people but it’s because they think it means a system like the ones you find in the UK and Canada. I am going to start speaking to civic groups about the need for UHC an point them to my blog and talk about the walk. I’m planning the walk for February.

You reminded me that I could get the book self-published and market the book after the fact. I have a lot to consider.