Friday, October 19, 2007

Top End Handcycles


Today Cheryl and I went to look at handcycles. We went to Pinellas Park, Florida the home of Invacare Top End handcycles. I tested two cycles and looked at a third. The first one we looked at was the Top End Excelerator. This cycle is designed very much like an adult tricycle. The cycle has a normal sitting position which is very comfortable. What a feeling of freedom. I haven't been on a cycle since I was about four years old. This cycle has a top speed of 15 miles per hour. After about 10 minutes of practice, it's like you've always been riding a handcycle. Considering the riding position and the height; this is probably the most appropriate cycle for me.



The next cycle I tried out was this yellow low slung model; the Top End Excelerator XLT. The XLT is much lower and your legs are straight out. Steering was a little different because your feet are in stirrups attached to the hub on the front wheel. This bike is faster and it felt great. When I'm ready to race I would consider this cycle.
The last cycle we looked at was the orange model you see to the left. It's called the Top End Force. This is for serious racing. Would I like to own this one? Don't be silly. Of course I would. Both the XLT and the Top End Force are very sexy but the Excelerator is more practical for the Ride to Tallahassee and isn't that more important????????


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... those last 2 bikes look awesome. definitely a head-turner if I saw one of those around.

Anonymous said...

I think I'll feel better to see you on the 1st one. Plus, you'll be higher up, able to see more of the road ahead.

Anonymous said...

For four years I rode a Top End Excellerator XLT Gold, one step above the Pro you show in the picture. Since November 2007 I have been riding a Top End Force. There is really no comparison. The Force is much easier to pedal, a lot faster, and as you note a lot closer to the ground. I am a paraplegic and rode an average of 8 miles per day last year. This year my goal is to average 10 miles per day. Most of my rides are more than 20 miles, so I am not riding every day. Actually, I ride about every other day. My longest ride was 80 miles in El Tour de Tucson on Nov. 17. If you can afford it, go for the Force. You won't be sorry!

RichW said...

Anonymous, I'm concerned with riding in traffic being that low. I like the speed and the Force is sexy but it might be too dangerous in traffic. I would love to talk with you about this.