Sunday, October 7, 2007

Getting it Write

My sister Donna read the first three chapters of my first book and she enjoyed them but I enjoyed most her comment “you made it sound too easy.” Her comment to my last post was “It's a good story, if you admit you had some problems.” I went back and read the chapters and she’s right. I haven’t said too much about what I was feeling emotionally and physically. Much of what I experienced I don’t care to relive but Donna’s right. My defense was humor and the chapters reflect that.

If the idea is to inspire, than the reader has to experience what I experienced; the struggle and the success. The hardest part of writing is painting a picture with words that draw the reader in. I was a technical writer for a number of years and I’m very successful with that style of writing. Being a lot more touchy feely is an exercise. I find myself rewriting and rewriting. I’ll get there. I’ll have to share some of my rewrites here to get your comments but I’m not quite ready yet.

This reminds me of Good Morning America when they have a story about someone who wrote a book and they have a portion of the book online for us all to read. If you haven’t figured it out yet, all those fun shows in the morning and late night talk shows are a marketing tool. I hope I never get accused of that. My motives are always of the highest order. They are!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rich, your sister is right. You have to share how you really felt as well as how you handled it. It's what you honestly felt deep down that will make others say "that's how I feel, I'm not alone". They need to see your feelings as well as how you delt with them, and maybe still are.
I can't wait to read some of your "rewrites". I also can't believe there were 6 foot waves in SW Florida!

Anonymous said...

Smart boy, listen to me. If you want I'll do the whinning for you.
love you!

RichW said...

Rose, don't tell my sister she's right. I'll never hear the end of it. She's my little sister and she's spent a lifetime trying to get one up on me. You're right. Donna's recommendation is what I needed. She's one of the few people who could say it. She was there. I will be sure to post some parts of the book. The story in the post, Deception, is in the book.