Thursday, October 11, 2007

On Track

My friend who works for the Lee County Sheriff’s department said I should call the sheriff’s department to ask about obtaining a permit for the Ride. I’m calling it a Ride for now because I’m not very creative — it’s the best I can do. I called the sheriff’s department this morning and spoke with the desk sergeant. He wasn’t aware of any permit requirements and suggested I call the Florida Highway Patrol. I spoke with a woman at the Florida Highway Patrol who said I wouldn’t need a permit but I couldn’t have an automobile follow closely behind me at a rate of speed slower than the prevailing traffic. It would be considered a hazard.

She also said there might be an ordinance in Lee County that would prevent the use of hand-cycles on bike paths. I thought that was interesting; can’t ride a bike on a bike path. I understand the concern. The hand-cycle is very low and they’re wider than a standard bike. She suggested I call Lee County government and ask about an ordinance then she gave me the number. The woman I spoke with at Lee County government said there’s no such ordinance but I should speak with a particular gentleman in the office to determine if he was aware of any problems I might encounter while cycling through Lee County. I called the gentleman and left him a message. The search continues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone in Lee County know the answer? I wonder how many phone calls you will have to make before you get the right person that really knows the right answer!?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Uncle Rick...
I was reading your blog and the thought came to me that you can call your amazing adventure and AWARENESS RIDE. It gives purpose and definition...plus it will make people ask questions!
Best wishes always.
Love you,
Mandi

RichW said...

Mandi, I like that. That's an idea. Thank you. Love...Uncle Rick